Google Search Quality: 50 Changes in March
Google’s search quality department announced 50 important changes which took place in March this year.
Here’s the summary:
- Symbols: Inclusion in autocomplete.
- Symbols: Improved indexing.
- News Results: Scoring system for news groups improved.
- Sitelinks: Fresher and faster updates.
- Autocomplete: Now takes up less resources to run (internal improvement).
- Security: Change your password and you will now be logged out of all machines.
- Index: Improvements in profile indexing and its comprehensiveness.
- Universal Search: Design tweaks and improved user experience.
- Search Query: More intelligent navigational search queries.
- Panda: High quality site definitions re-processed and released live.
- Sports: Scoring and schedules now in live updating snippets (UEFA & KHL)
- Sports: Live scoring triggered by player or event name (Tennis)
- Image Search: Page quality gains points in favour of image quality to improve relevance.
- Image Search: All languages now included in fresher image predictions update.
- Safe Search: No more embarrassing moments with smarter safe search.
- Anchor Text: One classifier related to anchor text was turned off in order to improve quality of results.
- Universal Search (Images): Simplified codebase and leverage of a global ranking system.
- Mobile: Application ranking and UI improvements through richer results.
- Universal Search (Video): Improved detection of stale videos and improved freshness.
- Synonyms: Expect less strange synonyms in our searches.
- Local: New way of handing mixed queries containing local and navigational intent.
- Search: Freshness algorithm which used to handle only news is now active for all results.
- Page Analysis: Additional improvements in perception of website quality.
- Anchor Text: Better interpretation of anchor text data in relation to query or website theme.
- Local & News: One local signal turned off. Similar one replacing it improving the relevance of local news.
- News: One news signal related to quality turned off.
- Synonyms: Improved sibling synonym handling to remove strange instances not relevant to search intent.
- Synonyms: More accurate synonym handling and improved performance.
- Search Query: Staying on track of user search intent through tuned retrieval system by eliminating elements of search query not needed for the retrieval of relevant documents.
- Synonyms: Less ‘aggressive’ and suggestive providing better variety of suggestions.
- Local: Improved handling of geographic data.
- Name Detection: Improved detection of names, especially celebrities.
- Personalised Search: Changed and updated quality signals.
- Page Analysis: More accurate detection of old pages.
- Language: Improved detection of languages in auto-complete.
- Discussion Search: Smarter forum and blog post date detection.
- Auto-complete: Rewriting of search query prefixes.
- Mobile: More elaborate sitelinks.
- Answers: Higher accuracy of short answers.
- Video: Back-end clean-up for advanced video search.
- +1: Support for more countries and domains.
- Local: Better rendering on tablet devices.
Some of these are starting to work towards the following picture:
Copy the code below to your web site.