Google Algorithm Updates: June & July 2012 [Organised List]
Google’s massive list of June and July updates: Trimmed, merged and organised into five main areas: quality, query understanding, images, snippets and other.
- Several boosts and tweaks for high-quality content from trusted sources.
- Several Panda tweaks including algorithm and a fresh data feed.
- New and more efficient model used to find high quality sites.
Performance & Query Understanding:
- Data refresh for system used to better understand and search for long-tail queries.
- Better ordering of top results using a new ranking function for combining several key ranking features.
- Changes to an “official pages” algorithm to improve internationalization.
- Improved fresh content handling.
- Improvement in clustering of web results.
- Flights results now show for queries with destinations outside the US.
- Freshness algorithm now turned off in cases where freshness is not required.
- Multiple natural language query triggers improved.
- Google Images now return more on-topic image search results.
- Better understanding of the most important and most topically relevant images on a page.
- Tiny, unhelpful images filtered out of image search.
- Improved ability to show Images Universal on infrequently searched-for queries.
- This image display feature goes global.
Snippets & SERP Display:
- Removed boilerplate text in sitelinks titles.
- More useful text in sitelinks.
- Improved clustering and ranking of links in the expanded sitelinks.
- Removal of generic boilerplate text.
- Clustering of web results better and simpler.
- Improved display of local business information in certain mobile use cases. (phone numbers, addresses).
- Better detection of ”article” pages to display more relevant snippet format.
- List upcoming events in the Knowledge Graph for city-related searches.
- Improvement in generating site hierarchies for display in search result snippets.
- News universal display uses entities from the Knowledge Graph.
- Now you can hover over a local result and see information about that place on the right-hand side.
- Algorithm for clustering web results from the same site or same path (same URL up until the last slash) more consistent. (One of many updates in this area)
- Better result diversity.
- Query Synonyms: Google is now less likely to show documents where the synonym has a different meaning than the original search term.
- Search quality highlights: 86 changes for June and July,
- Find more big, beautiful images on Google,